Five idiotic arguments against marriage equality
Marriage equality was reached one year ago, which gave us this sense of hope that maybe politicians and that one uncle on Facebook might stop saying idiotic things about marriage equality and the LGBTQ community as a whole. We were so wrong. Here's the five most idiotic arguments against marriage equality ending with one insane political statement made just a couple of days ago. The fight is not over.
- It’s going to make everyone gay. The Lighted Candle Society worries that kindergarteners will be taught that gay is okay – and because of that, ALL KINDERGARTENERS WILL WANT TO BE GAY. Small reminder that we also tell Kindergarteners that broccoli is okay and they still don’t eat it.
- Gay marriage will lead to “criminalization of Christianity” Christian convictions are under attack as never before,” said Huckabee. “Not just in our lifetime, but ever before in the history of this great republic. We are moving rapidly toward the criminalization of Christianity.” Yeah that definitely sounds like something that's happening, Mike.
- It’ll kill people Mike Huckabee Policy Solutions – a group that obviously is not at all controlled by Gov. Huckabee – and Paul Cameron, an anti-gay researcher, say that there is “strong scientific linkage that has been documented between same-sex marriage and early mortality.” It’s all about the safety of the LGBT community, here.
- Marriage equality will undermine men The Gallagher brief says “the redefinition of marriage will transform marriage … to make men’s involvement ancillary and optional.” Put the fragile masculinity aside for a second and realize that just because two women don’t need men, does not undermine heterosexual men. Also pretty much nothing undermines heterosexual men in the U.S. today.
- WHAT ABOUT GAY SPACE COLONIES Okay Louie. This seems like a reach, but okay.
Christianna Silva is an adventurous, optimistic feminist who can hold her own in a few topics: politics, music, baking and books. At a party, you can find her consoling the hostess’s pets and sipping a gin and tonic.