17 Good Things That Happened in 2017
2017 sucked, which is the understatement of the millennium. If it were to win a superlative, it would be crowned The Worst Year That Ever Was. I couldn't even begin to make a list of the terrible things that happened this year, because it would be too long to publish on the internet.
But even in this horrible hellscape of a year, there were some good things that came from the past several months. Here are some of the bright moments to remember as we end this dumpster fire of 365 days.
- The Stranger Things kids took over and were perfect cinnamon rolls too good for this world. If you don’t believe me, watch this segment of them Motown-singing “I Want You Back.”
- The Solar Eclipse made an appearance in North America and for one glorious afternoon we all forgot our problems and tried not to blind ourselves watching this once-in-a-lifetime phenomenon.
- New Orleans elected LaToya Cantrell as its first female mayor in the city's 300 year history.
- Wonder Woman broke box-office records, smashing the patriarchy and proving what we already knew - female superheroes and directors are here to kick ass.
- Lorde debuted a new album for the first time in four years and I haven’t stopped dancing to it/crying about it since.
- The Women’s March on Washington happened, if you needed a reminder of the power and influence of women standing up and fighting for what they believe in.
- Manatees were taken off the endangered species list and it was a win for cute animals everywhere.
- Democrat Danica Roem made history and became the first openly transgender state legislator elected in Virginia (and then became Demi Lovato's date to the American Music Awards). Even more awesome is the fact that she beat out 13-term renowned bigot and sponsor of the anti-transgender "bathroom bill," Bob Marshall. Bye, Bob!
9. The world was introduced to the dancing hot dog Snapchat filter, and things haven’t been the same since.
10. Moonlight won the Oscar for Best Picture, an amazing achievement for black, queer film (and we can all laugh about that awkward La La Land mishap now, right?).
11. More than 1,000 people responsible for human trafficking have been arrested this year in the US, meaning we're one step closer to eliminating human trafficking once and for all.
12. Kinder Eggs are now (legally) purchasable in the United States( because even Americans deserve deliciously fun chocolate surprises)!
13. The cast of the new live-action Lion King movie was announced and is basically going to be the best thing ever if you're a fan of, oh, Beyonce, Donald Glover, Billy Eichner, John Oliver, Eric Andre, Seth Rogen, James Earl Jones, Chiwetel Ejiofor and more.
14. Four words: Animal Crossing Pocket Camp.
15. Taylor Swift dropped a new album, but more importantly, she won her countersuit for $1 against the DJ who groped her in 2013, proving that consequences and change can happen for sexual harassment and assault.
16. Serena Williams won the women's title for the seventh time at the Australian Open, made only more impressive by the fact that she won while eight weeks pregnant.
17. Despite still unfortunately being our president, Donald Trump has had a spectacularly terrible year, getting both of his travel bans and the transgender military ban overruled in federal court and failing to pass any major legislation in congress.
Bonus: Donald Trump's Twitter account was down for 11 glorious minutes on November 2nd. I wish every day this year felt as good as those 11 minutes felt...
So here's to 2018 - may you be infinitely better than this year!
Mia is an aspiring cat lady and obsessed with books, beauty, and pop culture. By day she works in publishing in New York City, and by night she can be found in bed, drinking Moscato and binge-watching YouTube videos.